Feed In Tariff FAQs UPDATE 16th December 2011


As of 12th December 2011 the Feed In Tariff rates are proposed to be reduced significantly. The government proposal is for the rate for up to 4kWp installtions (standard domestic systems) to be reduced to 21p per kWh. It is our understanding that while this rate is still technically under consulation, it is virtually certain that this is the final rate that will be applied once the consulation ends.

The Feed In Tariff (FIT) is a government backed scheme that is designed to guarantee good long term financial returns for home owners with suitable roofs who choose to invest some of their savings in a Solar PV installation on their house.

How it works

  • FIT Payments. The Feed In Tariff guarantees a payment of 21p per kWh* for every unit of electricity generated by your solar PV system for 25 years after its installation, even if you're using some of that electricity yourself in the house.
  • Export Payments. On top of this you're guaranteed at least 3.1p per kWh for every kWh of electricity that is exported to the national grid for other people to use. For most systems the electricity companies simply estimate this figure as being 50% of the total generated
  • Offset Electricity. PV generated electricity is also available to be used by you in your house as it's being generated, meaning that you don't need to buy this electricity from the electricity companies. This is known as offset electricity costs, and is worth around 13p per kWh that's used.
  • Tax Free. Income from the Feed In Tariff is paid via your electricity bill, and unlike bank interest payments, does not count as taxable income. For higher rate tax payers this effectively means that an investment in PV can generate 40% more money in your pocket than a standard taxable investment with the same rates of return.
  • Inflation Linked. Feed In Tariff and Export payments are index linked to inflation.
All Leeds Solar PV installations are eligible for the Feed In Tariff payments

Is the Feed In Tariff only for home owners?
The Feed In Tariff is available for installations on any building, not just houses, as long as you are the owner of that building, or have the owners written permission.
How do I get paid?
The Feed In Tariff and Export payments are made by your electricity company, usually this is paid quarterly by cheque or by bank transfer.
Can DIY solar installation get the Feed In Tariff?
No. Only installations completed and certified with the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) by MCS certified companies such as Leeds Solar are eligible for FIT payments.
Can I get a Grant?
No. The Feed In Tariff scheme replaces the previous grant funding scheme.
Rate this blog entry:
Analysis of Solar PV installation figures vs the F...

Related Posts